Women & Children Support Worker
Life at Coast Shelter
Coast Shelter is a leading Central Coast not for profit charity assisting families, adults and young people with complex issues arising from their experience of homelessness, abuse and neglect. Our organisation is driven by our mission to deliver innovative solutions to address homelessness, violence and poverty to achieve immediate and lasting changes.
We are a Tier 3 community housing body and the largest Specialist Homelessness Service in Regional NSW. We operate 9 crisis shelters, a Community Centre and more than 50 outreach properties, housing over 150 people across the Central Coast every night.
At Coast Shelter, you’ll be joining a team of committed staff and volunteers who work to end Homelessness and Domestic and Family Violence within our community. Our people are innovative professionals who are driven to help make positive change, we are bold with ideas and operate with pace and passion.
We are looking for an outstanding Support Worker for our residential accommodation programs who will be responsible for the supervision, care, and support of our clients. Working within Coast Shelter’s specialist homelessness services for women with or without accompanying children you will assist with providing a safe environment and access to personal support programs for those who are experiencing homelessness on the NSW Central Coast.
Success in the role will demand an understanding of the causes and impact of homelessness and an empathic approach to those in our community who may find themselves on the outer: homeless and disadvantaged.
All about you
You have a background and passion for working with Women & Children within homelessness and domestic and family violence services. You focus on working within a clear, client centered, trauma informed framework and have a demonstrated understanding of child protection, parenting and family work, family violence, mental health and drug and alcohol issues.
To be considered for the position you must be able to address the essential criteria below;
- Tertiary Qualification, and/or minimum 3 years’ experience in case management, ideally working with Women & Children
- Experience and demonstrated ability in providing high quality crisis intervention and advocacy support for people with complex needs
- Ability to motivate and engage with all walks of life
- Proven ability to maintain boundaries and respond to challenging behaviours
- Excellent communication with proven written and oral communication skills
- Intermediate computer skills and experience using Microsoft Office
Ways we Reward You!
- Competitive Remuneration Package including access to extensive salary packaging offerings
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Values Driven Organisation
- Employee Assistance Program offering free and confidential counselling and support
If you are successful in gaining employment with Coast Shelter you must hold a NSW driver’s licence, First Aid Certificate, National Criminal Record Check, Covid Digital Certificate and Working with Children Check.
Enquires: Jason Brown Human People & Culture Manager
Please apply by providing a resume and cover letter.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity, ethical practices and the principles of cultural diversity. Coast Shelter strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply.