Parenting Support Coordinator
Life at Coast Shelter:
Coast Shelter is a leading Central Coast not for profit charity assisting families, adults and young people with complex issues arising from their experience of homelessness, abuse and neglect. Our organisation is driven by our mission to deliver innovative solutions to address homelessness, violence and poverty to achieve immediate and lasting changes.
We are a Tier 3 community housing body and the largest Specialist Homelessness Service in Regional NSW. We operate 9 crisis shelters, a Community Centre and more than 50 outreach properties, housing over 150 people across the Central Coast every night.
At Coast Shelter, you’ll be joining a team of committed staff and volunteers who work to end Homelessness and Domestic and Family Violence within our community.
Our people are passionate professionals who are driven to help make positive change!
We are looking for a Parenting Support Coordinator to join our Women & Children’s Services which operates 3 shelters and a Domestic & Family Violence Rapid Response Program across the Central Coast. The position will work closely with our Case Workers and focus on early intervention, risk assessment, risk minimisation and relapse prevention.
This position is responsible for coordinating access to parenting programs, facilitating parenting and education programs, supporting the establishment of parenting peer support groups, and providing one on one support for Women with Children within our Service.
The position is for 12 months with the possibility of extension.
Key focuses of the position are
- Develop relationships with community organisations to develop referral pathways for women with Children to attend parenting programs such as Triple P – Positive Parenting Program
- Coordinate access for Women to attend external parenting programs across the Central Coast and attend when required.
- Coordinate sessions for women with children on various parenting education topics and assist in the establishment of new groups in response to needs identified by women.
- Present and promote parenting Programs to professionals, community agencies and groups as required.
- Ensure all women with children have access to support to assist in the building and maintenance of healthy successful families.
To be considered for the position you must be able to address the essential criteria below;
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in related discipline, diploma level or higher and/or relevant sector experience
- A comprehensive understanding of group dynamics and family processes
- A comprehensive understanding of a wide variety of topics in the field of family life education, including adolescent development, attachment theory, compassionate communication, and self-care
- Experience of working in accordance with person centred practice and trauma responsive care principles
- Demonstrated understanding of child protection issues and client vulnerabilities such as drug and alcohol use, domestic violence, mental health issues, and the impact of trauma and the effect on child behaviour and development. Knowledge of the factors that led to child abuse and neglect and impact.
- Ability to coach, mentor, and collaborate with a range of colleagues to build understanding and knowledge and improve outcomes for clients, with the ability to adapt approach
- Facilitate groups for client base and encourage reflective parenting practice
- Good written and verbal communication skills
Ways we Reward You!
- Competitive Remuneration Package
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Values Driven Organisation
- Employee Assistance Program offering free and confidential counselling and support
If you are successful in gaining employment with Coast Shelter you must hold a NSW driver’s licence, Covid Digital Certificate, National Criminal Record Check and Working with Children Check.
Enquires: Jason Brown People & Culture Manager
Please apply by providing a resume and cover letter.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity, ethical practices and the principles of cultural diversity. Coast Shelter strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply.