Community Services Worker
2 – 3 days per week 12 pm – 6 pm
Life at Coast Shelter
Coast Shelter is a leading Central Coast not for profit charity assisting families, adults and young people with complex issues arising from their experience of homelessness, abuse and neglect. Our organisation is driven by our mission to deliver innovative solutions to address homelessness, violence and poverty to achieve immediate and lasting changes.
We are a Tier 3 community housing body and the largest Specialist Homelessness Service in Regional NSW. We operate 9 crisis shelters, a Community Centre and more than 50 outreach properties, housing over 150 people across the Central Coast every night.
At Coast Shelter, you’ll be joining a team of committed staff and volunteers who work to end Homelessness and Domestic and Family Violence within our community.
Our people are passionate professionals who are driven to help make positive change!
For 30 years, Coast Shelter’s Community Centre and Restaurant has provided free meals, as well as personal, financial, legal and health support and care for the most vulnerable people in our community. As we continue to grow and expand our offerings, we are looking for passionate individuals to join our team in this newly created role. The position reports directly to the Senior Case Worker and will be a member of a diverse team which includes Social Works, Counsellors, Volunteers and Case Workers.
Key functions of the position include
- Welcoming and supporting clients who visit our Community Centre
- Ensuring a safe and comfortable environment is maintained during meal service
- Logistics including
- Lift, manoeuvre and carry items including unloading of deliveries
- Stock, rotate and store incoming food supplies
- Perform general cleaning duties
- Set up of rooms and activity spaces
- Drive the Coast Shelter bus
- Assist in the kitchen
- Administrative tasks including
- Lodge and administer No Interest Loans
- Assist clients applying for Energy Accounts Payment Assistance
- Order food items and other supplies
- Assist in daily data collection
All about you
You have a background and passion for working in homelessness and domestic and family violence services. To be considered for the position you must be able to address the essential criteria below;
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in a related discipline, diploma level or higher and/or relevant sector experience
- Demonstrated understanding of child protection issues and client vulnerabilities such as drug and alcohol use, domestic violence, mental health issues, and the impact of trauma and the effect on child behaviour and development
- The proven ability to work under pressure whilst maintaining a calm and professional approach
- Demonstrated success in working as part of a team and also working unsupervised
- Demonstrated clear, and easy communication style
- Ability to engage with volunteers and offer assistance or guidance as required
Ways we Reward You!
- Competitive Remuneration Package
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Values Driven Organisation
- Employee Assistance Program offering free and confidential counselling and support
If you are successful in gaining employment with Coast Shelter you must hold a NSW driver’s licence, Covid Digital Certificate, National Criminal Record Check and Working with Children Check.
Enquires: Jason Brown People & Culture Manager
Please apply by providing a resume and cover letter.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity, ethical practices and the principles of cultural diversity. Coast Shelter strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply.