Alcohol & Other Drugs Counsellor
Life at Coast Shelter
Coast Shelter is a leading Central Coast not for profit charity assisting families, adults and young people with complex issues arising from their experience of homelessness, abuse and neglect. Our organisation is driven by our mission to deliver innovative solutions to address homelessness, violence and poverty to achieve immediate and lasting changes.
We are a Tier 3 community housing body and the largest Specialist Homelessness Service in Regional NSW. We operate 9 crisis shelters, a Community Centre and more than 50 outreach properties, housing over 150 people across the Central Coast every night.
At Coast Shelter, you’ll be joining a team of committed staff and volunteers who work to end Homelessness and Domestic and Family Violence within our community. Our people are innovative professionals who are driven to help make positive change, we are bold with ideas and operate with pace and passion.
An opportunity has arisen for a qualified Alcohol & Other Drug Counsellor to join Coast Shelters Men’s Services which provides supported accommodation and personal support programs for men over the age of 25 who are experiencing homelessness on the NSW Central Coast. This full-time role will be available until December 2022, with potential for extension.
The Alcohol & Other Drug Counsellor will provide one on one and group support options which aim to reduce AOD related harms to individuals. The position is responsible for conducting assessments and providing a range of counselling interventions to assist our clients to change harmful behaviours and increase their capacity to effectively manage the problems they are experiencing associated with AOD.
All about you
You are approachable and easily build rapport with your clients. You understand that persistence is key, and you follow through on what you commit to. Above all you are passionate – this is your career – a choice you make every day!
To be successful in the role you will be able to demonstrate
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in related discipline, bachelor level or higher and/or extensive relevant sector experience supported by well-developed counselling skills.
- Demonstrated experience in counselling individuals using a range of intervention techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge of a range of therapeutic approaches to support individuals with substance abuse problems.
- Experience in group facilitation and group program delivery.
- Clear understanding of child protection issues and client vulnerabilities such as drug and alcohol use, domestic violence, mental health issues, and the impact of trauma and the effect on child behaviour and development.
Ways we Reward You!
- Competitive Remuneration Package including access to extensive salary packaging offerings
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Values Driven Organisation
- Employee Assistance Program offering free and confidential counselling and support
If you are successful in gaining employment with Coast Shelter you must hold a NSW driver’s license, National Criminal Record Check, Working with Children Check and Covid Vaccination Digital Certificate.
Enquires: Jason Brown People & Culture Manager
Please apply by providing a resume and cover letter.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity, ethical practices, and the principles of cultural diversity. Coast Shelter strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply.